Defence added another two cases of COVID-19 to its confirmed tally, bringing the total to 95 cases.
The little black map of case locations has returned, but with some shenanigans making a calculated guess at the location of the new cases difficult.
As per accepted government protocol, Defence has until now (mostly) indicated the location of its COVID cases as being in the city where the diagnosis was made – however, today’s map shows Melbourne with 18 cases as opposed to the 19 it has displayed since 1 September.
Sydney and Brisbane on the other hand have both risen my one since the last map update – and ‘overseas’ has risen by two.
By a process of ‘logical deduction’ we can eliminate ‘overseas’ as the place where the mobile Melbourne case went – but we can’t say for sure whether it was Sydney or Brisbane that copped the transfer, given that we don’t know where the fresh case yesterday was located (because the map was AWOL).
That said, however, given that the relevant government web sites say there were two new cases in Sydney and no new cases in Queensland in the past 24 hours, CONTACT is going to take a bold leap of faith and put yesterday’s one case down to Sydney and the case that was (notionally/clerically) moved out of Melbourne went to Brisbane [which matters only insofar as CONTACT’s map (above) differs from Defence’s little black map (right) in that we are placing the numbers where we think the people are as opposed to Defence placing them where the diagnosis originated].
UPDATE (28 October 2020) – Defence’s little black map has been amended again, with the wayward Melbourne case magically appearing back in Melbourne and the Brisbane total reduced by one. Which means our guess yesterday was correct.
The total of ‘recovered’ ADF cases remains unchanged at 92.
Meanwhile, there has been some movement in official numbers of ADF deployed on Op COVID-19 Assist since yesterday…
*NOTE: Personnel in Joint Task Group headquarters, supporting roles, and those preparing for tasks are included in overall state-based figures but are not captured in the list of tasks.
Total ADF deployed 2210 (down 10)
Queensland – *572 personnel (up 1)
- *448 (down 3) ADF personnel are supporting quarantine compliance management efforts, including at airports and hotels
Victoria – *458 personnel (down 39)
- 215 (up 45) ADF personnel are supporting Victoria Police checkpoints
52 personnel contact tracing and community engagement efforts(line item missing)
- 24 (down 2) personnel are assisting in other logistics roles, including the Police Assistance Line call centre in Ballarat
- 6 (unchanged) personnel are providing support to the Victorian Aged Care Response Centre
- 0 (down 4) personnel are involved in medical testing initiatives
- *actual total = 245 (down 13)
New South Wales – *469 personnel (up 5)
- 243 (up 5) personnel are supporting state police quarantine, reception and repatriation efforts at Sydney airport and hotels
- 183 (unchanged) ADF personnel are supporting New South Wales police with border control checkpoints on the New South Wales-Victoria border
- *actual total = 426 (up 5)
Western Australia – 197 personnel (up 2)
- 153 (up 2) personnel are involved in quarantine assistance at hotels and at the Perth Airport
- 6 (unchanged) personnel are providing planning and logistics support
- *actual total = 159 (up 2)
South Australia – 154 personnel (unchanged)
- 82 (unchanged) ADF personnel are supporting South Australia Police border control checkpoints.
- 42 (unchanged) personnel are providing support to South Australia Police quarantine compliance management at a regional hotel.
- 7 (unchanged) personnel are providing planning and operations support to SA Health
- *actual total = 131 (unchanged)
Northern Territory – 143 personnel (up 20)
- 79 (unchanged) ADF personnel are providing support to Northern Territory Police at vehicle checkpoints
- 20 (up 20) ADF personnel are supporting Australian Federal Police and Northern Territory Police quarantine compliance management.
- *actual total = 99 (up 20)
Tasmania (not included on the list for quite some time) – 30 personnel (up 30)
- 30 (up 30) ADF personnel are providing support to Tasmania Police quarantine compliance management in Hobart.
Australian Capital Territory – 8 personnel (unchanged)