I got (and broke) my new lapel pin

I got the new Veteran’s Covenant and Lapel Pin in the mail yesterday.

The postman came to the door, because he needed a signature on his pocket tablet thingie (though I’m not sure if I was signing for the lapel pin or the wife’s e-shopping).

Today is Tuesday, so of course I’m wearing a loud shirt, pretending to be happy – and I decided to add a little more spangle to my dangle and wear my new, flash-looking lapel pin at coffee club (for a shitstir).

I was even going to wear it on my lapel (funnily enough) – but couldn’t get the damn thing out of the box!

Pushed, pulled, twisted and squeezed the locking mechanism on the back, I did.

I even watched very ‘helpful’ videos and swallowed sarcastic commentary from armchair social-media experts on ‘how easy’ it was.

90 pages of first-class reading ––>

CONTACT magazine, issue 64

But to no avail.

I even broke the locking thingie in the effort.

So, court mounted or swing mounted it has to be, box and all, in the shirt pocket.

I even got an officer to have a go at taking my new trinket out of its box.

And if an ossifer can’t do it, what chance us mere mortals 😉

And, said ozifor, said he’d heard it’s a common problem.

Anyone else in the same boat?
[all you smartypantszs who easily got yours out of your box needn’t bother replying – you obviously got a good one, whereas some of us – hundreds, I’m led to believe – actually did get duds]

CAPTION: My new Veteran’s Lapel Pin, box-mounted in the shirt pocket – because I’m a well-trained Army SNCO – adapt and overcome 😉 Photo by self.
I’m also a former RAEME aircraft fitter, so when I tell you it don’t work, then you can take my word for it – IT DON’T WORK!!!

. . .
...
...
. .
8633 Total Views 42 Views Today

Brian Hartigan

Managing Editor Contact Publishing Pty Ltd PO Box 3091 Minnamurra NSW 2533 AUSTRALIA

29 thoughts on “I got (and broke) my new lapel pin

• 06/12/2019 at 4:35 pm

Hi All, received mine a week ago, I thought a rubix cube was hard, it had nothing on trying to get the clasp to let go. Eventually perservered with it and it decided to let go.
    Feel your frustration,

(ex RAAF Equipo)

• 06/12/2019 at 4:37 pm

Thanks Mark. I appreciate the feedback.

• 03/12/2019 at 5:43 pm

Received mine a week ago. Couldn’t get it out of box so it will sit on the shelf unworn. It is about the quality i expected from dva. I am still undecided as to whether the pain that goes with the injuries is worse than the stress and anguish of dealing with dva or vice versa. The system needs a total overhaul and a pin and words on parchment aint gonna fix it. Thats my rant but i like your method of wearing it Brian.
    God bless and good mental and physical health for all current and ex service personell.

• 03/12/2019 at 6:04 pm

Thanks Bryan. I appreciate that you appreciate my inventive ‘court mounting’ 🙂
      I’m in the midst of dealing with DVA – or rather, letting a good advocate deal with them for me. I haven’t quite made up my mind about the process yet. My first claim was easy-peazy. But my experience with DVA’s mental-health coverage has been very mixed to date – https://www.contactairlandandsea.com/2019/05/17/my-personal-anguish-over-dva-funded-mental-health-treatment/
      We soldier on.
      Right back at you for good health, mate.

• 03/12/2019 at 7:02 pm

Brian, just read your story on the link and sounds near verbatim. My problem is that i was given an advocate that was new to the job and submitted a new claim for a condition i already have liability for so you can imagine the confusion at dva and the subsequent claim declined letter. I have wasted 12 months on a claim that i repeatedly stated was being done the incorrect way but my Psych has put me onto a top notch advocate not through an RSL office. Moral of story, if anyone is not happy with your advocate then find another. The great ones are plenty but like any other profession, there are those who havent earned the control of the reigns yet. Merry Christmas to Contact and all its subscribers.

• 03/12/2019 at 4:53 pm

I decided to avoid the phone approach to get a replacement. I looked up DVA’s email address on their help website
    DVA.General.Enquiries [AMBDVAGENREQ@dva.gov.au] I sent the email last night complaining of the broken pin and recieved a reply this morning. They have had “numerous” complaints and have told the manufacturer. a new badge is being sent though it may take a while (I just hope I am still on the right side of the grass when it gets here).

• 03/12/2019 at 6:05 pm

Thanks for that tip Robert. I think I will do the email thing too.

• 03/12/2019 at 12:46 pm

Good luck with theVet’s Covenant & lapel pin. I cannot even get to first base with DVA to apply for MyService registration & Digger discount card. Try phoning DVA the service is a joke!

• 03/12/2019 at 6:09 pm

Hi Tim. I must say, I found the on-line registration with DVA was a doddle. I’m surprised to hear you’re frustrated with that. But I’d be very curious to hear if anyone else shares your frustration.
      Re the discount card – that isn’t through DVA. You register with https://apod.com.au for that – but you’ll need a DVA ‘customer’ number to do it.

• 03/12/2019 at 10:55 am

Something wrong with me, it opened first go…..next appointment with the Doc. is near.
    Must admit though that I was a Signalman.

Pedlar

• 02/12/2019 at 6:53 pm

As it is nothing more than a government trinket to stop us veterans from continuously complaining (as rightfully we should) I think the best thing everyone can do is, return the bloody thing with a note regarding where it may be kept – taking into consideration daylight saving.
    It is a complete denigration of the TPI GOLD CARD, which has now finally lost all of it’s special significants. We were TPI, special people with DVA then the ‘uneducated’ decided they would give everyone a GOLD card and we had one hell of a job constantly telling doctors and specialists to ‘look down the bottom at the letters TPI’. DVA finally got the message and new cards were issued showing TPI in large black letters so, end of swearing at medics.
    Now, they are issuing something entirely different with a ‘small’ carrot attached where we (maybe) can get a discount here and there – Oh, and a you beaut lapel pin to wear, but then you will have to explain to everyone what significants it has (remember the old Gold Card above?)
    Shit mates, as long as we do get some fortnightly recognition in cash and medical attention whenever it’s needed who the hell wants a new lapel pin (many couldn’t fit it on their ANZAC jacket anyway, no room. 🥴

• 03/12/2019 at 10:57 am

Hi there, it was difficult to remove the clasp thingy but eventually I got a small screwdriver to lever the clasp loose ( ie. Allow the knob end to slide up the pin )
      then it was easy. I put it back and when I went to remove it from the box again I had to releat the process. The clasp seems to just seal itself to the pin really well.

• 10/12/2019 at 12:52 pm

I tried the small screwdriver trick and it worked for me. Thanks for the tip, Mike.

• 02/12/2019 at 4:19 pm

I read your article a couple of days ago so I expected the worst. My lapel pin arrived today. I tried the above comment about how to remove it easily. followed his instructions whilst being very careful. The little silver end knob just came of in my hand. the main collar is still firmly attached. I am not sure how to go about getting a replacement.

• 02/12/2019 at 4:26 pm

Thanks for sharing Robert.
      While I commiserate with your failure, I glee in knowing I’m not alone 🙂
      I’ve seen it written on Facebook that you can ring DVA, tell them what happened and they’ll send you a new pin.
      I haven’t tried this myself yet, but will. But, Graham West (below), who did ring because he actually got an empty box in the mail, said he was on hold with DVA for 20 minutes, was indeed told he would be sent a new box with pin in it, but is still waiting 4 weeks later.

• 02/12/2019 at 12:24 pm

And they let you people handle loaded weapons

• 02/12/2019 at 11:51 am

Hi Gus and Gals. Mine came in the mail last week, opened the large envelope read what was enclosed, good reading.

Then i removed the pin box from the cardboard cover, nice blue box with the pin embossed onto the top of the box.

Opened the box and it was EMPTY. No PIN to be seen at all with in the box. I phoned DVA (joke) and after about 20 mins, I spoke with a vert sympathetic lady, who said that the pin will be sent shortly. four (4) weeks now and nothing.
    Discounts, the only really good one is the 5 cents discount at the nominated service stations.
    Maybe ill have my pin sent to me as a christmas gift?????.

Graham West. ex RAAF and the old CMF

• 02/12/2019 at 11:36 am

Couldnt get mine ut of the box either. Others who had managed to get theirs out of the box couldnt get mine to work. Seemed to be well and truly stuck. Ended up pulling on the little thingee on the end a bit to hard and it seperated.
    Good use of tax payers funds that was.

• 02/12/2019 at 10:52 am

Consider yourself lucky, I am still waiting for mine, maybe a New Years present, depending on Aust Post and their Xmas Spirit.

• 02/12/2019 at 7:39 am

Hardly surprising our gift from the government is a dud.So we got a pin and a discount card.I would rather they keep their cheap trinkets,and give us a royal commision into DVA.

• 01/12/2019 at 1:48 pm

I wasn’t even going to get mine out of the box until I read the article, but broke mine on the first try, even though I knew how it was supposed to come off.

• 01/12/2019 at 1:55 pm

I’m so confused right now.
      On one hand I want to cry because I feel sorry for you – on the other, I want to cheer because I’m not the only one.
      🙁 🙂

• 01/12/2019 at 12:09 pm

Guys 2 moving parts and its got you buggered. The small silver keeper on the back needs to be released i.e. pull outwards. First hold the small round backing plate pull out and the whole keeper will come off. You made need to hold the larger silver section towards the front to get the smaller one out.

• 01/12/2019 at 12:21 pm

Thanks for the (un)helpful advice Jim. I think you nailed the problem – “two moving parts”.
      There are no moving parts on my pin. I know they are supposed to move – but they don’t, didn’t, never have, never will – except for the one part that broke off in the initial efforts and now has complete freedom of movement.
      As I said in the story, you obviously got one that works, whereas I got one that doesn’t/didn’t work, and no amount of well-intentioned advice or instruction is going to change that fact.
      Besides, I quite like the ‘box-mounting-in-the-pocket’ solution 🙂

• 02/12/2019 at 6:50 am

Napoleon once quoted that “A soldier will fight long and hard for a piece of colored ribbon.” It seems that Lapel Pins also yield the same effect!

• 01/12/2019 at 12:29 pm

THAT worked 3rd time for me…. I repeated on/off – on/off a few more times, and yep, that’s the way it works! Thanks!

• 01/12/2019 at 5:46 pm

So you need three f’ng hands. We are not all Dibbies LOL

• 01/12/2019 at 12:14 pm

Cheers Barry. While I’ve seen plenty of ‘complaints’ on Facebook, you’re the first to support me here. So thanks for that.