Unknown soldier laid to rest

An unknown Australian soldier was laid to in Indonesia more than 70 years after giving his life fighting the Japanese in World War Two.

The remains of the unidentified soldier were buried with military honours at the Commonwealth War Graves Cemetery in Ambon, on Thursday, 10 September, 2015.

The soldier is believed to have been killed during engagements with the Imperial Japanese Army in what was ultimately an unsuccessful Australian operation to protect an airfield at Kupang, West Timor in 1942.

Assistant Minister for Defence Stuart Robert who attended the ceremony said, “This man fell during three days of intense fighting for control of the area”.

“It is important that we are able to commemorate the soldiers who lost their lives in war and in the defence of our nation,” Mr Robert said.

“This ceremony reflects our commitment to our fallen men and women and the families they left behind.

“Unfortunately, the identity of this soldier remains a mystery. Since the discovery of his remains, the Australian Army’s Unrecovered War Casualties Unit has been working to identify him.

“While we do not know him by name, we can take comfort that after 73 years this soldier has finally been laid to rest with his mates.”

The soldier’s remains were uncovered during excavations for a school near the town of Kupang in West Timor in 2013. The Army’s Unrecovered War Casualties Unit was called in when the discovery was reported to the Australian Embassy in Jakarta by the property’s owner.

The soldier is thought to have belonged to Sparrow Force, a unit built around the 2nd/40th Australian Infantry Battalion drawn from Victoria and Tasmania.

On 20 February 1942, Japanese forces landed in West Timor and advanced on two fronts towards the Australian positions. Three days later and after fierce fighting, the Australians were almost completely out of ammunition and supplies. By the time they surrendered, 84 men had been killed in action with a further 132 wounded. Many more were to die in prisoner of war camps in the years that followed.

Army’s Unrecovered War Casualties Unit coordinated a DNA search for relatives of the soldier and, to date, tested 93 people.

A few clues were found with the remains, including personal items like shaving and eating gear, a torch and some Dutch coins, however, none of the items were marked with a name or serial number.

Members of the public who believe they might be related to this soldier or any other not yet identified should contact the Army’s Unrecovered War Casualties Unit hotline 1800 019 090 or email army.uwc@defence.gov.au

 

 

contact_wp_footer_subs

 


. . .
...
...
. .
3264 Total Views 1 Views Today

Brian Hartigan

Managing Editor Contact Publishing Pty Ltd PO Box 3091 Minnamurra NSW 2533 AUSTRALIA

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.