Warramunga stops another major drug shipment
Building on its already successful Operation Manitou deployment, the crew of HMAS Warramunga has seized and disposed of 295kg of heroin valued at about $88.5 million while patrolling waters in the Arabian Sea on 10 May 2018.
The illicit narcotics interdiction is Warramunga’s 11th seizure in the seven months since deploying to the region in November 2017, and has further disrupted the flow of terrorist funding in the Middle East.
Warramunga’s illicit drug interceptions now total 19.5 tonnes of hashish and almost two tonnes of heroin, valued at approximately $1.56 billion.
These regular seizures have helped to disrupt the nexus between criminality and terrorism.
Following the detection of a suspect vessel in the Arabian Sea by Warramunga’s Seahawk Romeo helicopter, a boarding-party search uncovered a number of packages containing heroin.
Commanding Officer HMAS Warramunga Commander Dugald Clelland said the successful boarding and interdiction had been another boost for the ship’s already high morale.
“To have a successful interdiction on this latest patrol means a lot to the crew and reinforces the importance of our mission here in the Middle East region,” Commander Clelland said.
After being transferred to Warramunga, the narcotics were disposed of at sea.
Op Manitou is the Australian government’s contribution to support international efforts to promote maritime security, stability and prosperity in the Middle East region.
Combined Taskforce 150, of which Australia assumed command in December 2017, is one of three task forces operating under Combined Maritime Forces.
Summary of drug interdictions by HMAS Warramunga:
- 27-29 December 2017: 8 tonnes hashish, 69kg heroin, (from three vessels)(with video)
- 3 January 2018: 3.5 tonnes hashish
- 7 January 2018: 111kg heroin (with video)
- 24 January 2018: 915kg heroin (with video)
- 1 February 2018: 414kg heroin (with video)
- 3 March 2018: hashish, approx 4.1 tonnes (with video)
- 4 March 2018: hashish, approx 3.9 tonnes (with video)
- 6 March 2018: heroin, approx 132kg (with video)
- 10 May 2018: heroin, approx 295kg (this story)