Special events planned for the commemoration of the 99 year anniversary of the First World War Armistice…
4pm THURSDAY 9 NOVEMBER ONWARDS POPPY INSTALLATION COMMENCES
40+ volunteers begin installation of thousands of hand-made poppies from all over the world around entrance to the Shrine and along the Forecourt. The installation is a joint endeavour between The 5000 Poppies project and acclaimed landscaper Phillip Johnson.
3pm – FRIDAY 10 NOVEMBER MENIN GATE BUGLER FIRST AUSTRALIAN REHEARSAL
First rehearsal of buglers from the Last Post Association, Menin Gate, Belgium who will participate in 2017 Remembrance Day Service. This special visit is in response to a joint invitation from the Returned & Services League of Australia (Victorian Branch) and the Victorian State Government. The Menin Gate Memorial to the Missing is in Ypres, Belgium. The Memorial records the names of almost 55,000 British and Commonwealth soldiers, including 6000 Australians.
SATURDAY 11 NOVEMBER, REMEMBRANCE DAY, 10.20AM ONWARDS
10.20am 2017 Remembrance Day Service commences
- A formal military parade
- One minute of silence at 11am
- A flypast by aircraft from the RAAF Museum
- Remembrance Day Address by Her Excellency The Hon. Linda Dessau AC, Governor of Victoria
11.30am-11.50am Shrine of Remembrance Medal & Poster Competition announcements
- Presentation of the Shrine of Remembrance Medal
- Presentation of the Victorian Schools’ Poster Competition winning entry
3pm Laying up of the Guidon of the 4th Light Horse Regiment
- The Guidon is the pennant carried by the Light Horse Regiment of the Australian Army and is being retired from service. This rare ceremony includes a Regimental parade, wreath laying and formal presentation of the Light Horse Guidon to the Shrine of Remembrance.