Held annually, the NSW Employer Support Awards recognise employers throughout the state who go above and beyond to support their ADF reservist employees.
CAPTION: Major General Douglas Laidlaw, right, congratulates Mercury ISS’s Gabrielle Hendry, left, and Lieutenant Brooke Cooper at the NSW Employer Support Awards held in Sydney. Story by Flight Lieutenant Nick O’Connor. Photo by Corporal Kylie Gibson.
Army reservist Lieutenant Brooke Cooper nominated her civilian employer, Sydney-based cyber security firm Mercury ISS, for the awards in recognition of their flexible leave arrangements and supportive working environment.
“It’s important that the company’s support and the team’s willingness to pick up my work while I’m away is acknowledged,” Lieutenant Cooper said.
“During my time as an employee at Mercury, I have been deployed or on training for almost five of the 16 months that I have been employed.
“Mercury’s generous military leave policy and flexible work hours have allowed me to meet my commitments as a reservist.”
Head of Joint Support Services Division Major General Douglas Laidlaw congratulated award winners and thanked all employers throughout NSW who support their Defence reservist employees.
“The Employer Support Awards acknowledge the contributions made by employers of reservists,” Major General Laidlaw said.
“Every day, employers throughout the nation support reservists through a range of flexible working arrangements and policies. The support provided is not only valued by the reservist, but more broadly the entire ADF.”
Winners of the award categories were:
- Private Sector – Large: Plurasight
- Private Sector – Medium: ConnellGriffin Pty Ltd
- Private Sector – Small: Mercury ISS
- Public Sector – Defence: Defence Security and Estate Group
- Public Sector: Coffs Harbour Health Campus
- Not for Profit: Careflight Ltd
- Honourable Mention Private Sector – Large: Serco Asia Pacific and Nine Network Australia
- Honourable Mention Private Sector – Medium: Risk Response and Rescue and Mid North Coast Allied Health
- Honourable Mention Public Sector: NSW Ambulance and Toormina High School
- Honourable Mention Not For Profit: Aruma Services
As well as the personal attributes reservists bring to a workplace, there are a range of incentives on offer for support to employers.
For more information visit http://www.reserveemployersupport.gov.au/